Salary & Benefits
Salary (as of October 1, 2023)
Police Officer salary starts at $60,216 and increases to $85,280.
We currently have a 10 step Police Officer salary matrix. We also accept lateral transfers.
Patrol Officer Salary - West Lake Hills
|At 6 Months||$61,568|
|End - Year 1||$63,960|
|End - Year 2||$66,456|
|End - year 3||$69,056|
|End - Year 4||$71,552|
|End - Year 5||$74,256|
|End - Year 6||$77,064|
|End - Year 7||$79,768|
|End - Year 8||$82,576|
|End - Year 9||$85,280|
Starting salary for qualified candidates:
|Police Officer||2 years experience||$66,456|
|Police Officer||3 years experience||$69,056|
|Police Officer||4 years experience||$71,552|
|Police Officer||5 years experience||$74,256|
|Police Officer||6 years experience||$77,064|
|Police Officer||7+ years experience||$79,768|
The City of West Lake Hills offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- $4,500 sign-on bonus for all new officers*.
- The Police Department provides all the required uniforms, gear, and equipment needed.
- Health, Vision and Dental insurance
- Paid group Life Insurance/ AD&D coverage
- Texas Municipal Retirement System, 2 to 1 matching ratio at 7% employee contribution
- Social Security
- Deferred Comp plan
- Vacation – 96 hours per year (12 days)
- Sick – 96 hours per year (12 days)
- Holiday – 80 hours per year (10 days)
- Uniform Allowance - $1,000 per year, starting in year 2
- TCOLE Certification pay
- Intermediate - $600 per year
- Advanced - $1,200 per year
- Master - $1,800 per year
- Shift Differential Pay, depending on shift - Up to $150 per month
- Field Training Officer pay
- Longevity pay
- $3,000 per year fuel stipend
- Bilingual pay (Spanish and ASL) - $100 per month
The West Lake Hills Police Department is a progressive, professional Department – we believe in the importance of training, including specialized training. We also utilize the following:
- Our Patrol vehicles are Chevy Tahoe SUVs.
- We use electronic ticket writers.
- Each officer is issued their own Taser and Axon body camera.
- Officers work rotating 12 hours shifts, with every other weekend off.
- We use the newest Toughbook laptops (CF-55) in our Patrol Vehicles – we are dispatched by Travis County Sheriff's Office and use their CAD system.
- All training, including any specialized training, is paid for by the Department.
- We issue Colt patrol rifles, regular vests, and heavy vests to each Officer.
- Active Shooter response equipment in every Patrol vehicle.
*New officers are those who have not been previously employed with the West Lake Hills PD.