- Open Records / Public Information
Open Records / Public Information
The Texas Public Information Act provides that most documents of a public entity, such as the City of West Lake Hills, are open to public inspection and must be made available to the public. Requests for public information (open records) are treated uniformly. The law requires that public information requests be made IN WRITING to the public information officer/records management officer of the city. Once the request is submitted, it will be reviewed to determine if the information is deemed public. If the information is public, the request will be processed.
The City Secretary has been designated by the City Council as the Records Management Officer for the City of West Lake Hills, Texas. All open records requests should be delivered to the City Secretary by one of the following methods:
- In person - West Lake Hills City Hall, 911 Westlake Drive, West Lake Hills, Texas
- On-line through the City's website
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to 512-327-1863
- By mail - City of West Lake Hills, Attn: City Secretary, 911 Westlake Drive, West Lake Hills, Texas 78746
The link to the online Open Records Request form may be accessed from this page. Requests are not required to be submitted on the provided form, but all pertinent information must be included with your alternative form of written request.
Additional information regarding Open Records Requests / Public Information Requests:
- Requestors may ask that the information be provided in electronic format or as paper copies of the document(s).
- The Public Information Act does not require city officials to conduct research for a requestor. The Public Information Act applies only to documents that the city currently has in its possession.
- All requests for public information must be made to the City Secretary.
- We will respond promptly to the request, although some requests may take several days before we are able to provide the response.
- A fee for responding to the request may apply. If so, the requestor will be notified of the cost of the fee before we proceed with providing the information. All fees associated with public information requests are set by the State.
- Appointments for in-person review of documents should be scheduled with the City Secretary's office.
A copy of the Public Information Act poster regarding Rights and Responsibilities is available by clicking one of the following links:
PIA version in English PIA version in Spanish
For more information on how the City Secretary's Office handles requests for public information / open records, please visit the Attorney General of Texas website or contact the OAG Open Government Hotline at 877-673-6839.
NOTE: ACCIDENT REPORTS / CRASH REPORTS are not considered to be open records requests. You or your insurance company may obtain a copy of your Texas Peace Officer's Crash Report (CR-3) directly from the TxDOT Crash Records Information System (C.R.I.S.).